Who May Get a Library Card
Library cards are issued to patrons 16 and older living in municipalities participating in the Pinellas Public Library Cooperative and the unincorporated areas of Pinellas County, and to nonresidents owning property/businesses within the area. Library cards are issued to children under age 16 with signature of parent or legal guardian.
There is no charge to obtain a library card for residents of member cities and unincorporated areas of Pinellas County. Please visit the PPLC website for a list of acceptable proofs of residence and information for non-residents who want to obtain a PPLC library card.
Issued library cards are valid at all PPLC member libraries for 3 years, then must be renewed every 3 years thereafter to keep patron information current.
Computer Use Only Cards
Patrons who do not have proof of residence in Pinellas County may obtain a computer use only card by presenting a valid photo ID. This card will provide access to the public Internet computers only. Materials cannot be checked out with this card.
(if no holds)
|Books and Kits||50||28 days||3|
|New Books||50||14 days||3|
|Music CDs||25||14 days||3|
|DVDs & Blu-rays||25||7 days||3|
|Sunshine State Books||4||14 days||3|
|Children’s Non-Fiction (per subject)||4||28 days||3|
|Video Games||5||7 days||3|
|Reading Adventure Backpack||1||14 days||3|
|Bicycle Locks (not renewable)||1||24 hours||0|
|Ukulele Kits||1||28 days||1|
|STEM Kits||1||14 days||3|
|Wi-Fi Hotspots||1||14 days||1|
Fines and Fees
- There are no overdue fines at PPLC Member Libraries effective October 1, 2021.* After 10 days overdue, your account will be blocked, the items presumed lost, and the account will be billed for the cost of the outstanding items plus processing fees. However, accounts will be unblocked and fees removed when items are returned in good condition. For more information on this policy please see our Fine Free FAQ page.
*This does not apply to items from the Tool Library - the fee is still $2 per day late ($10 maximum). Other fines may be assessed for damages, tools not picked up without notification, and cleaning fees for items returned dirty.
- A cumulative account balance of $10.00 or more owed at one or more Cooperative library will result in the suspension of borrowing privileges at all Cooperative libraries.
- Libraries may not waive collection agency fees assessed by another library.
- The due date is extended from the date the renewal is made and extended by the item's standard lending period.
- Renewal of Interlibrary Loans (ILLs) is at the discretion of the lending library and not always possible. Please allow a few days before the due date for the lending library’s decision to avoid late fines. Renewal may be requested by calling (727)724-1525 x 4112 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cardholders may place a hold to have items sent between member PPLC libraries. Patrons can place a maximum of 25 holds.
- By default, hold requests are listed in chronological order according to the original entry date of the request.
- Holds are not filled in exact order. Cooperative libraries have chosen to satisfy all requests for a title at the owning library and its associated branches before sending the material elsewhere.
- Hold items will be held at the library for 7 calendar days before the request is automatically changed to "unclaimed" and cancelled, then routed to its next delivery point.
- Users may choose to suspend a hold request, which will temporarily remove their hold from the master list. When it is reactivated, it will reappear on the list according to its original entry date
- All patrons have the choice to receive automated hold notifications via email, telephone, or text. To change this preference, visit your account online, or see staff at a member library.
Lost or Damaged Item Policy
- For lost or damaged items, the full replacement cost plus a $5.00 processing fee is assessed.
- Damaged material or material with lost parts will NOT be checked in but will be returned to the owning library for the determination of any fees. The owning library will be responsible for notifying patrons of any charges imposed.
- We do not accept replacements for lost items. Lost items must be paid for in full at the time of the transaction. We cannot accept partial payments.
- No refunds for lost items will be given once the item is paid for.
- We cannot accept book donations in lieu of fines.