A Household Chemical Collection Day will be held Saturday, October 8, 2011 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Public Works Complex, 1200 Railroad Avenue.
This is an excellent opportunity to properly dispose of the chemicals that may be around your home.
What to Bring: Fertilizers, fungicides, pesticides, herbicides, household chemicals and cleansers, paint thinners and removers, solvents, automotive fluids, wood preservatives, pool chemicals, household batteries and oil-based paints.
How to Prepare and Transport:
1) DO NOT MIX chemicals together.
2) Keep products in original, labeled and sealed containers.
3) Place containers in cardboard boxes; use crumpled newspaper in boxes to prevent breakage.
4) Place leaky containers in clear plastic bags; transport in boxes with newspapers.
5) Put boxes in the trunk or back of vehicle, away from passengers.
What NOT to Bring: ANY WASTE FROM A BUSINESS, gasoline, kerosene, explosives, ammunition, radioactive wastes, biological/infectious wastes, gas cylinders, flares, fire extinguishers and smoke detectors.
For more information, contact the Public Works Department at 727/724-1550. The next Household Chemical Collection day will be scheduled for October 2012, so please make every effort to dispose of any chemicals you have at this annual event.