The function of the Sanitation/Recycling Division is to provide residential and commercial waste collection and recycling services to the residents, businesses or other customers within the City of Safety Harbor.
The City of Safety Harbor Sanitation Division provides residential service twice a week for the collection of garbage at a cost of $22.32 per month. The collection days are either Monday / Thursday or Tuesday / Friday. Wednesday is yard waste collection citywide. Please view Sanitation/Recycling Holiday Schedule for changes.
Following are some regulations regarding residential garbage collection:
- Residents are required to have the containers curbside no later than 6:30 A.M. on the scheduled day.
- All items must be placed in the City provided 90 gallon garbage barrel. Any bulk item (defined by any item that will not fit into the city provided 90 gallon barrel such as furniture, mattresses, etc) or garbage bag will be collected on your first collection day of the week, with a maximum of seven items. Example, if your collection days are Monday and Thursday, the bulk/bagged item will be collected on Monday. If your collection days are Tuesday and Friday, the bulk/bagged item will be collected on Tuesday.
- Any cans other than the city provided can will not be collected, except for Wednesdays yard waste collection (look under yard waste).
- Any items not conforming to this will not be collected, and a special pick-up is required.
- Hazardous materials, fluorescent light bulbs, televisions, computers, electronics, and paint will not be collected. Please contact Pinellas County at (727) 464-7500 for directions to the Electronic and Chemical Collection Center.
- Construction debris and building materials will not be collected. Please call (727) 724-1550 to arrange a temporary dumpster.
- Large amounts of trash will require a special pick-up with an additional charge. Please call (727) 724-1550 to arrange those pick-ups.
Automated Garbage Collection Instructions
Please place your container three feet away from all trees, mailboxes, recycling bins, parked cars, utility poles or anything else that could get in the way of the automated arm.
Place the container within two feet of the curb, with the arrow marked on the lid, pointed towards the street by 6:30 am on your regular collection day.
Large / Bulk / Bagged Items
Any bulk item (defined by any item that will not fit into the city provided 90 gallon can such as furniture, mattresses, chairs, table, etc) or garbage bag will be collected on your first collection day of the week, with a maximum of seven items. Example, if your collection days are Monday and Thursday, the bulk/bagged items will be collected on Monday. If your collection days are Tuesday and Friday, the bulk/bagged items will be collected on Tuesday. If you place more than seven items curbside a special pick fee will be applied, please call (727) 724-1550.
Appliance items such as washers, dryers, or refrigerators will also be picked up free of charge by a separate crew on Thursday or Friday with the exception of appliances that contain Freon. Those items will only be collected after the resident confirms a special pick-up fee of $23.50 per unit for Freon. Please call (727) 724-1550 to schedule collection.
Yard waste is only collected on Wednesdays and in 32 gallon cans or smaller or bundled at the curb. Please do not place recyclable yard waste in the 90 gallon barrel.
Yard waste materials, such as grass clippings and leaves must be placed in unlined garbage cans no larger than 32- gallons, limited to five cans or bundles, and curbside by 6:30 am on Wednesday only. Branches and other vegetative materials must be cut into sections no longer than 4’ in length and 6” in diameter then bundled with twine in arm size managable bundles. Please do not tape bundles or mix paper or plastic in as this will contaminate the recycling process for the entire load and will result in yard waste not being collected until the next regular bulk garbage day.
Yard waste is converted to a mulch material, which is available at the Public Works Complex located at 1200 Railroad Avenue.
Any large piles that require the claw truck for collection will require a special pick up fee; please call (727) 724-1550 for arrangements.
Large amounts of building materials need to be placed in dumpsters that are available through the City. Call (727) 724-1550 to arrange the dumpster. These dumpsters are available for up to a thirty (30) day period.
Temporary Residential Dumpster
The City offers 2 yard, 4 yard, and 6 yard dumpsters to residents for temporary use for the disposal of household items or yard debris. Residents may have the dumpster for up to 30 days. If dumpster has not been collected prior to the 30 day limit, it will be collected on day 30 and the full rate charged. The dumpster may be dumped as needed within the 30 day period in accordance with the rates listed below and continue to be used for the entire 30 day period. If it is needed for longer than 30 days, an extension must be requested and will be granted if there is availability. Otherwise, the resident’s name will be placed on the list for the next available dumpster. Dumpsters are scheduled and delivered to various residents throughout the city on a first-come, first- serve basis and as availability applies.
Please make arrangements through the Public Works office at (727) 724-1550.
| 2 cubic yards
|| $62.97 per dump
|| 6'W x 2 3/4' D x 3 1/4'H
| 4 cubic yards
|| $70.84 per dump
|| 6'W x 4 1/2' D x 4 1/2'H
| 6 cubic yards
|| $78.71 per dump
|| 6'W x 5 3/4' D x 5 1/4'H