ALERTIf you have an unpaid past due balance, the City is offering payment plans to avoid termination of service. Contact (727) 724-1555 for assistance.
**Financial assistance may be available through Pinellas County. See below for details.**
To assist with paying utility bills and other qualified expenses, Pinellas County has broadened eligibility for individuals and families who need assistance through the Pinellas CARES Financial Assistance program. For additional information, call Tampa Bay Cares by dialing 211, visit the Pinellas CARES webpage at https://covid19.pinellascounty.org/where-to-get-help/?utm_source=general&utm_medium=general&utm_campaign=era
Water and Sewer Utility Rate Study
The City contracted with a third-party consulting firm to perform a Water and Sewer utility rate study in 2017. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the sufficiency of utility revenues to meet both current and projected financial requirements. This study also evaluated the level of rate increases necessary to adequately fund both current cost requirements and future cost projections. The City's utility rates were voted on and adopted by City Commission and are based on the conclusions and recommendations resulting from this rate study. The complete report can be viewed by clicking on the link below.
City Commission will be re-evaluating the City's utility rate structure in FY2022.
A deposit fee is required of all customers. Interest is earned on the deposit and is credited to the utility account annually. Deposits are held until an account is closed and is then applied to the final bill. The balance, if any, is refunded to the customer.
- City Residents $100 for owners $160 for renters
- Outside City Limits $125 for owners $200 for renters
- Cash, check, or money order only
Good CreditOwners with 24 months of good credit may request a refund of their deposit (good credit is defined as no more than 2 late notices in the preceding 24 months, no returned checks, and no disconnections).
Utility BillThe utility bill for water, sewer, sanitation, stormwater and recycling is charged as follows (rates outside city limits are 25% higher):
||2020 Charge||2021 Charge|
|Over 20 Gallons
|Service||2020 Charge||2021 Charge|
|Water Service, Monthly
||Base Charge: $22.81||Base Charge: $22.81
|Sewer Service, Monthly
||Base Charge: $24.27||Base Charge: $24.27
|Sanitation Service, Monthly
||Flat Charge: $28.89||Flat Charge: $29.89
|Stormwater Service, Monthly
||Flat Charge: $10.93 (Per Residential Unit)||Flat Charge: $10.93 (Per Residential Unit)
|Street Light Assessment (Monthly)
||$3.25 (Per Residential Unit)||$2.90 (Per Residential Unit)
|Total Base Monthly Bill
|Gallons||2020 Charge||2021 Charge|
|Delinquent Turn Off
|Delinquent Turn On
||$15 - $25
|Returned Check Charge
||$25 if the face value does not exceed $50
$30 if the face value is more than $50 but does not exceed $300
$40 if the face value is more than $300
|Meter Bench Check
|After Hours Services
Miscellaneous Service ChargesEvery developed property within city limits, to which sewer and sanitation services are available, is subject to a service charge (although the water service may be off or the property is unoccupied). There will also be a service charge to restore service at a later date.
Outside City LimitsCity sanitation services are not available outside City Limits. Private agencies are responsible for providing the service.
- All accounts are billed monthly and will become delinquent 20 days after billing.
- Customers not paying their bill by the delinquent date will be mailed a delinquent notice that will extend the due date by 7 days.
- Failure to pay the bill by the extended due date will result in a discontinuance of water service and service fees will apply.
- The delinquent bills must be paid before the restoration of service. Even if a delinquent bill is paid to a City Representative when they call to shut off the water, a service fee will be charged.
Payment OptionsAs a convenience for our customers, we provide a variety of payment options to pay the utility bill.
- Online Utility Billing Payment - For more information, see Pay your Utility Bill Online at the top of this page.
- Direct Debit - To utilize this payment method, visit our online utility billing payment system. The City will automatically withdraw your utility bill from your specified bank account each month two days prior to the due date listed on your statement.
- Mail - We accept check or money orders through the mail:
City of Safety Harbor
750 Main Street
Safety Harbor, FL 34695
- Drop Box - There is an after-hours utility payment drop box located at the front entrance of City Hall along the right wall. You may use this slot anytime day or night. Payments placed in the box will be processed the next working day.
- City Hall - Payments can be made in person at City Hall. We accept cash, checks and money orders in the office.
Advance PaymentThese are also acceptable and need only be forwarded to our office with your account number.
Lawn Watering Restrictions
For Pinellas County Utilities customers, lawn watering is limited to a twice-per-week schedule using potable, well, lake or pond sources. Schedule details and other information can be found on our Water Restrictions page.